Marriage in Thailand, Marry in Thailand: What you need to know!
A Thai wedding generally consists of two parts: the legal part and the ceremonial part. These are done separately. There is no requirement of government documentation to have a religious ceremony, which is most common with Thai people. This is considered by many to be the real wedding. The legal part is performed at a local office ( Amphur )where the marriage in Thailand is registered. The Thailand marriage certificate is in Thai language.
Thailand marriage eligibility
- Both parties must at least 17 years of age. A court order would otherwise be needed.
- Neither party should be insane.
- Both should not be in blood relations to each other by direct ascendant or descendant line.
- Both should not have the same adoptive parents.
- Neither should have a spouse at the time of the Thailand marriage.
NOTE: If the woman is a widow or is divorced, the marriage in Thailand can only take place after expiry of 310 days from her husband's death or termination of the marriage in Thailand. The exception being where:
- A child was born during this time;
- The divorced couple are remarrying;
- There is a court order allowing the woman to marry in Thailand;
- There is a certificate from a doctor (working in a Thai hospital only) to state that the woman is not pregnant.
Marriage in Thailand, Marry in Thailand: Documents required by Law firm in thailand : TILA LEGAL.
- A copy of the passport including the arrival card.
- Affirmation of eligibility to marry from the Embassy.
- Passport showing enter into Thailand.
Marriage in Thailand, Thailand marriage procedures
- Obtain the affirmation document from your embassy, or embassy website
- Free 1 hour meeting with one of our Thailand Lawyer.
You would have to provide an income statement;
Copy of your divorce order or death certificate of your spouse; (If divorced or widowed)
List your children and ages and;
Two citizens in your home country as references.
- Have your affirmation, (divorce order or death certificate of your late spouse) Law firm in Thailand (TILA LEGAL) will translate into Thai.
- Law firm in Thailand (TILA LEGAL) will take the affirmation and documents together with translations and copies of your passport to the Legalization Division of Consular Affairs Department, where the Consular Official's signature will be authenticated. This takes a few hours.
- Law firm in Thailand (TILA LEGAL) will accompany you and your fiance to take the documents already translated to Thai to the local District Registrar ( also known as the Amphur or Khet, in Bangkok) who will register the marriage in Thailand and issue the Thailand marriage certificate.
- Law firm in Thailand (TILA LEGAL) will check all legal documents and Thailand marriage certificate.
- Note that if you have prenuptial agreement ( strongly recommend ! )to protect your assets we have to register your prenuptial agreement at the same time as you register your marriage in Thailand.The officer will keep one original copy of your prenuptial agreement at the local district office.
After you have registered Thailand marriage, you could apply for Thailand marriage visa
Our Thailand marriage service will take approximately 3 business days.
NOTE: There are two copies in Thai and they will not issue new ones if lost.
Law firm in Thailand (TILA LEGAL), we provide Thailand marriage registration service by experienced Thailand lawyer. We will assist you to prepare for documents required and attend your Thailand marriage registration at district office. And also translate yourThailand marriage certificate into English.
Our Professional fees for Thailand marriage services are as follows:
|Legal consultation 1 hour:
Thai marriage service:
Accompany client at the district office:
16,515THB (USD 534)
Thai prenuptial agreement service
Thailand Marriage Visa
Thai will and testament service